Cristian Vogel is a composer, music producer and theorist, known worldwide for his experimental DJ and Live performances, compositions for contemporary dance and many studio productions.
Born in Chile 1972 and raised in the UK, he is now based in Geneva.
Cristian Vogel has been a long-term innovator in the composition, mixing and performance of electronic sounds.
Over a 20 year career at the vanguard of european electronic music, he has been acknowledged for blueprinting the “minimal” and “wonky” techno music styles back in the mid-nineties, as well as outstanding work in the field of avant-garde composition for contemporary dance, film and sound art.
Considered by some as “a producers producer”, Cristian has been asked to remix Radiohead, Maximo Park, Thom Yorke and many more original artists.
His compositions for contemporary dance have been highly acclaimed for their vision, delicacy and attention to detail.
As a performer and songwriter, he has been the other founder of the duo “Super_Collider” alongside Jamie Lidell, as well as his own recent songwriting project “Night Of The Brain”.
Currently, whilst continuing to think and compose in music space as a daily practice, his divergent artist research streams are ongoing. Research interests include;
– state-of-the-art composition
– sound and music computing
– the future of music in a digital networked society
– embodied and enactive music cognition
– modelling sensorial expertise (improvisation, wine and music)
He has designed and lead a number of workshops and symposiums, notably;
– the 1st Kyma International Sound Symposium (Barcelona 2009)
– Dialog:Sound and Movement (GVASessions, Geneva, 2011)
– LiveConnections Workshop (Electron Festival, Geneva, 2011)
– Club Glop (wine tasting and music events, Barcelona, 2009)
Plus presentations of research and interventions such as;
– RedBull Music Academy (2001 / 2010 / 2011)
– Kyma International Sound Symposium (2009 / 2010 / 2011)
– Sound and Music Computing Conference (Barcelona 2010)
Cristian has a degree in 20th Century Music studies from University of Sussex, under the tutorship of Jonathan Harvey and Martin Butler.
Sound interventions, soundtracks and art projects
Arrebatadas (2010) EatMeat Gallery, Barcelona
Gessami (2009) sitespecific sound and visual installation for the Theatre de Arsenic, Lausanne
Artificiel’s ‘Bulbes’ for the Montreal museum of Contemporary Art (2003)
Stefan Bruggeman’s ‘A Production of Nothing’ (2005)
‘ 1000 beats 1 beat’ with Pieter-jan Ginckels (2007).
Film scores and featured music include Hands (2008) short film soundesign and soundtrack for Xavi Jose/Sony PSP
Original music featured in Gaspar Noe’s feature film, “Enter The Void” (2010).